Monday, March 12, 2012

Wait, Wait

The trouble with going to parties with both friends and faculty is that professors could join your conversation at any point, often when you're talking about topics that are not appropriate for their ears, like when Professor Dub joined in as Becca and I discussed the exact age at which it becomes appropriate to crash college concerts (still debatable) or when Advisor Who joined in just as Ilene and I were discussing the possibility of discovering illegitimate siblings.  The other trouble with going to parties with both friends and faculty is that we start joking around and once the banter starts flowing, I have a hard time holding back barbs for propriety..  I am immensely proud of myself, however, for refraining from the following last night:

Ilene: ... she thought liking seltzer was a Jewish thing, which I had never heard of-

Moi: I'd never heard that either.  It's not like seltzer helps you make money or anything.
---
Advisor Who: [potty trained 4-year-old son often forgets to wear pants]

Moi: Maybe if you wore pants around the house more, that wouldn't be a problem.
---
Professor Dub:
(I forget my Dub story, though he's our program head.  I only remember how hard it was to not say things I wanted to, and how proud of myself I was for catching myself and realizing that he was talking to Dub before asking Juan how his night of debauchery was)

That is not to say, of course, that I left with my dignity intact:

(discussing Advisor's bootleg Linsanity shirt and how I think watching JLin is like staring into the mirror)

Liz: Well, if you're really good at basketball, maybe we could tag team, play other people, and make some money.

Moi; You mean hustling?  Yeah!

Liz et Moi: We could be hustlers!

(Advisor and Molly stand aghast)

No comments: