Sunday, March 18, 2012

All is Bright

I hung out with Alice tonight and in doing so, we accidentally had a great date.  If one of us had been a boy, we'd probably be sharing the story of this night with our grandchildren.  The movie stretched over to dinner and drinks, which stretched into a short drive for gelato, a walk along the waterfront, and gazing at the starlit night.  During our walk, we saw an old guy with a giant telescope in the square.  Because this is Baltimore.  So of course, there was a guy hanging out in the park with a giant telescope, chatting up strangers.  He first showed us Venus (which looked like a half moon because of where it is now), and then Jupiter and its four moons (I only saw 3, but I believe that there are 4).  It was amazing to see such a faraway planet so close.  Even the belt on Jupiter was visible.  That one faraway speck we saw with our naked eyes became one big speck and 4 little specks in the telescope.  Many of my friends have different beliefs than I do when it comes to God or different beliefs in what a god does, and appreciate nature differently, but when I see something like Jupiter and its moons lined up neatly around it, when I think of the human ingenuity that allows me to see something so far away, and the superhuman ingenuity that made something so specific so far away, I get awestruck and giddy.  I can't help but see God everywhere.

No comments: