Sunday, February 17, 2008

Nerd Like Me

I've been a geek long enough to know that there are some friends with whom it's not OK to talk about NPR, or that if we do, it'd be a one-ended discussion. There are some friends who you share word plays with, some you quote Simpsons with, and some you don't do either with, because they're too cool for all that and in general, too cool for me. I still remember a clashing-of-worlds moment awhile ago, when Leash and I were talking about scrabble, boggle, and Trivia Pursuit. I turned to Alex and asked "What nerdy games do you play?" And she said, in the most gentle manner possible, "We... don't play any of that. We go out dancing." And it's because of the awkward silence that followed that I generally police my own geekitude. But sometimes, things just slip out...

At dinner, Alex brings up that the Chronicles of Narnia sequel is coming out this summer and Jared comments that it'll coincide with the much more with the exciting Indiana Jones sequel (trailer now out! Not that I watched it or anything)...

Moi: Yeah, that's also when X-files 2 is coming out. Wait, was that geeky of me? You guys probably don't watch that, huh?

Jared: X-files? Like Mulder, and Scully?"

Moi: Yeah... I mean, not that I know or anything...

Alex: Mulder and Scully are coming back!?

Jared: The first one was so good!

Moi: Wait, you watch it, too? And you-?

(much squealing and excited rambling on the part of both Jared and Alex)

Alex: Oh my God, we have to see that, all of us! Together!


And suddenly, I pitied their excitement. It all seemed so eager... so needy. I don't know. I think I might be too cool for them.

1 comment:

Dusty said...

I just applied to Bowdoin...

Tell all your friends how great I was in Boston...

:-)