Sunday, February 10, 2008

Game On

The past two days have been a whirlwind of goodness and hilarity. I found a small ziplock bag of spaghetti in sauce on a counter at work. And then a pair of shoes at the T stop. And this here toilet seat.
All three discoveries beg the questions huh, why, and how? The three questions that make my world go round. If life was a video game, these events would all amount to a ridiculous number of bonus points. And I'd probably grow an inch. I'd get points taken away, however, for saying stupid things at work (not funny, just stupid), the fact that I can't shake the habit of entering 04011 any time someone asks for a zip code, and for this here next story, which I'd like to entitle "In Which I Learn To Shut Up."

The names of everyone involved have been changed due to the sensitivity of the story. As brunch (+150 for me, being my idea, +100 everyone else) ended yesterday, we stood outside talking about our plans for the day. Lisa had tentative plans to hang out with Kalyn that night (+15 for her). While Brandon had tentative plans for dinner with Caroline (+15). So they both called up their respective friends to check plans, leaving Leash and I to stand there and chat about going to the Boston Public Library (-20 each)-- where we so did end up, because we're classy (+40 for me, +50 for Leash, who got a library card).

Kalyn did not pick up Lisa's call (-20). And Caroline did not pick up Brandon's (-20). Even though he called twice (-20). So I joked that Caroline was probably screening her calls. And that if Lisa called, Caroline would probably pick up. This is the part of the story where people usually laugh (+15 for me, +5 everyone else) and stop. I do not expect people to go along with my stupid ideas (-5). But something possessed Lisa yesterday, and she actually called Caroline as we all wait around nervously, hoping Caroline doesn't pick up (+20 for balls, -20 for stupidity).

But oh, she did! Caroline really was screening her calls (-30 for Brandon). Which put everyone involved is put in an awkward position, especially Lisa (-20), who could not say, "I called to see if you were screening Brandon's calls." So Lisa was forced to pretend she wanted to invite Caroline to hang out with her and Kalyn (+15 for thinking on her feet). Caroline does not say yes or no to the invite, but that she's not sure what she's doing tonight and she'll call back later, burning both Lisa and Brandon in the process (-20 each). And as all this was going on, Leash, Brandon, and I just stood there, shocked speechless, alternating between fits of laughter and feeling really, really sorry (-50 for bad idea, +5 each for laughing). Greatest surprise ending to brunch ever (+20,000).

If life was a video game...

Moi: brunch + 20,000 + shoes + toilet + spaghetti - being stupid - 04011 ... 19,822

Leash: 140 Lisa: 75 Brandon: 55

I rock at my video game of life.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: