Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Engaged and Overage

I exercised my greatest civic duty last night and voted for the very first time.  I was really surprised that there were no levers to pull or screens to tap, just paper and a black marker.  Is it supposed to be that low-tech and easy?  Can't help but feel that I voted wrong somehow.  I had to talk myself into going.  I am equally optimistic and cynical of two candidates, and did not much want to vote either way.  But I figured voting buys me the right to complain about what the government brings my way the next four years (though I believe people who don't vote also have that right).  The lady checking me in happened to be our old neighbor (because she's both elderly and no longer our neighbor), Barbara, who exclaimed, "Oh, you can't vote, dear, you're too young!"  I loved Barbara just a little bit for that. 

Overheard some folks on the train today, including a man whose middle name is Alan.  His brother's middle name is Allen.  Or vice versa.  But the names have no family significance.  His mom just liked the name, but not enough to give it to either boy as a first name.  Isn't that just an odd little anecdote?  It's not funny ha-ha, but I'm sure it'll have its use one day.

Blood sounds like a badass rogue journal.  I'd read it over Placenta any day.


No comments: