Thursday, February 07, 2008

CongRats

For the most part, my work is menial and unglamorous. On a good day, I might get to do a lit search or build a database, or if I'm lucky, do some thinking and basic data analysis. On many days, however, I make copies, play with clipart, and make pretty graphs. But one thing I love about working in my division, other than the fact that there are only 1.5 people I would not want to get stuck in an elevator with in the whole division, is that they allow me to unleash my crazies once in awhile. In the form of a hand turkey contest. Or a Donatello figurine on my desk. Or random notes on the cookies I bring into work. And the best part is, the unleashing of crazies is reciprocal. Today, I mentioned to the division that it is customary for elders and superiors to give youngsters/their subordinates red envelopes stuffed with cash during Chinese New Year, the way one just casually mentions to one's superiors on Chinese New Year. And this afternoon, I found an envelope on my desk from Query. An interdepartmental envelope outlined in red and stuffed with pictures of Johnny Cash. Best/worst red envelope ever. Much better than the corrections in red that Whitecastle left (he said "it's no envelope, but it's red and it's the thought that counts;" I'm not sure that flies).

No comments: