Thursday, August 02, 2007

Justice Is Inebriated, Awkwardity Is Alert

Supervisor: The other day, my husband, the district attorney says to me, 'You know, if I had to do it again right now, I don't think I could get through college.' I asked him, why, is it the pressure? 'No, it's the drinking. They're so strict about underage drinking at bars now, and fake IDs are so much harder to get. I couldn't have gotten through college without drinking.'

Moi: Um, I don't know this for sure, but I've heard that college students today still drink.

----

In other news, awkwardity (yeah, haven't used that word in awhile) follows me around like a plague. A plague that follows people. It seems like every day, I have a conversation I'm not sure quite how to finish. And every day, I open the door to find someone there and we do this weird 'oops, sorry, hi' thing. And every day, I pass someone in the hallway and there's a weird moment because we can't decide whether to say hello or to make small talk. I have a feeling that the problem isn't just me. But that everyone I work with is awkward because they're so insanely smart and nerdy. Sometimes though, I'm quite capable of creating awkward situations all by myself. Today, I tried to be friendly for once and and wave to a co-worker across the street. Unfortunately, it led to an awkward bump-in with random passerby and we ended up doing a little 'go ahead, no you go ahead' dance right in the middle of a busy street, much to the amusement of the co-worker I was waving at. I should probably just stop waving at people as a rule. I also tried to wave at Lisa today, who was waiting for me at the T stop for our lunch date, and ended up catching the gaze of yet another stranger walking down the street. He looked at once confused and pleased that I was waving at him.

No comments: