Friday, March 09, 2012

Pretty in Numbers

Dear Secret Hopes and Dreams,
  As you can tell by my lack of posts, this has been a very busy week, one that has been consumed by work, of all things.  It's probably not a viable strategy to focus on minimum-wage work and ignore academics the week before finals, but hey, it puts bread on the table and assuages the wrath of Whitecastle.  I've spent most of the week (OK, only 16 hours, but I sleep a lot, and go to school) playing with tables and figures for him.  It felt like a nice throwback to my first days out of college.  Except for the realization that I'm still doing the same type of work and getting similar pay for what I was doing before becoming a Grand Master.  This afternoon, I sat down for another few hours of work ahead of me only to discover that Whitecastle had done gone fixed most of what needed to done himself, saving me lots of time, and making everything look incredibly spiffy.  He even made a funny about 'making graphs pretty'.  Which makes me beam with pride because that's a phrase I use.  This is almost on par with the day he told me I could get a research assistant to do my work.

Moral of the story for Whitecastle: If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Moral of the story for me: Unclear.  Maybe "God is merciful"?  I do know that the moral of next week will be that I should have been studying this week instead of working and blogging.  

---
(discussing Ashley's deep reflections on St. Teresa of Avila and visiting relics)

Moi: People get so tiny when they die.

Ash: Good reflection!  You should share that.

No comments: