Tuesday, November 24, 2009

After the Beep

"Burying the lede" is a journalism phrase that I reference a lot.  Because I like to sound like a journalist.  And because people are often making that mistake. 
 
My parents are currently in Asia, on a schedule 12 hours ahead of me.  As is my brother.  I haven't talked to them in about a week.  All of this is OK us, so long as nothing goes wrong.  Today in class, I receive a voice mail from a number I don't recognize.  Already antsy for Thanksgiving break to begin and sleep deprived, the unknown number distracts me through lecture until we're finally let out and I check my messages.  "Hello," she begins, "This is a friend of your mother's.  Please call me."  Long pause. 
 
Did something happen?  Are they OK?  Maybe she just needs me to drop something off or pass a message?
 
"I'd like to speak to you."  Another pause.  "When you call, just say your name after the machine message and I'll know it's you and pick up-"  What?  This is sounding serious and vague. 
 
"I just want to make sure you had somewhere to go for Thanksgiving."
 
Worst. Voicemail. Ever.

1 comment:

BriWi said...

I appreciate your journalism reference.

We will see you back here on Monday. Goodnight.