Saturday, November 22, 2008

FlashBack

Woke up this morning. Stumbled out of bed. And decided that I'd take the early train home. Didn't have time to shower, think, or pack much, but just threw lots of random layers into a big duffel and headed home. Edited my recommendation letter of myself, ran a few errands (which involved driving in the suburbs and plentiful parking spaces, both of which I have greatly missed), rushed home to shower, make myself presentable, and it was out the door again, to a re-wedding reception. Being at the Lowell church always stirs up strong memories but it was even stranger today because the special occasion brought out all sorts of people who I haven't seen since my childhood. I was at the reception to represent the family since no one else was around, and it really felt like that, that I was representing my family, saying hello, calling out uncles and aunties, asking after kids, I felt at the same time grown up and as if I was back in fourth grade. Then, after a few hours and some adventure in the dark streets of south Boston, here I am, back in the apartment again. My brain hasn't processed much of the day yet, but I do know that seeing Carol was the highlight, followed by, in no particular order, snide remarks with Jon Pan, seeing my youth group kids together, the heat and shampoo at home, and Mrs. Pan's food.

No comments: