Friday, August 01, 2008

Buy Me Love

My Mother's List of Affections:

God.
New car.
Daughter (possibly tied with Son, though he didn't crash her car, so he might place higher)

Commuting takes a bit of carpooling creativity these days because my parents and I split 2 cars between 3 people. I usually drive to the train station on Mondays, Fridays, and most Tuesdays, and get rides from my mother on the others. Father often picks me up on Thursday afternoons but sometimes Mother does, too. Last night, I had dinner planned with the Chos so I called Mother to see how the rides would work out- would she drop me off at the restaurant, or would we ride home together and then I'll drive out again? It went something like this:

Mother: Hello?

Moi: Hello? Ma, I'm having dinner with Mrs. Cho tonight-

Mother: OK. Bye.

(I call back to finish my sentence)

Moi: I wasn't done talking. Since I'm going out to dinner, do you want to drop me off-

Mother: I'm not picking you up today.

Moi: But I have no ride. I didn't drive today.

Mother: But I need to go buy a car. Ask Mrs. Cho to give you a ride. Bye!

(later, with Mrs. Cho)

Moi: I'm sorry that my mom loves a new car more than she loves me.

Mother: Are you surprised, though?

No comments: