Monday, February 04, 2008

Wrong and Right

Regarding what was wrong with the article a couple of entries down, I wasn't thinking grammar. But the fact that the college administrator was at a Bermuda resort every three weeks or so. And that the waiter's "attentiveness and amiable manner" caught her eye. I think there's also something weird about giving someone a four-year tuition for being a really good server. I get that this is a heart-warming human interest story and that this is a great opportunity the administrator is giving her waiter and yes, it's a gift and not entitlement, so they can give whatever they want however arbitrarily. But something about the way the story is angled, of the best server being granted an opportunity, seems off to me. Is he only worthy because he's most subservient? Are the other waiters less worthy, do they not have hardships? And was he actually the best, was that really what caught the administrator's eyes, the administrator who frequents resorts? It's not that I'm not happy for him, it's that the cynic in me doesn't like how the power dynamics work in the story and how the papers are structuring it.

No comments: