Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Slapsgiving

I was an orphan for Thanksgiving this year and yesterday, the Colonial Wongs took me into their home for a very pleasant day, one that leads me to believe that many families are pretty much interchangeable.  Except for one awesome difference.  The Colonial Wongs eat roast beef and turkey on Thanksgiving, with roast beef being the more celebrate center piece and the turkey merely for legitimacy's sake.  It is a brilliant tradition on their part and one that everyone should adopt because as much as I love Thanksgiving turkey, turkey gone bad can be pretty awful.  Of course by interchangeable, I do not mean that my aunts or uncles are anything like Jenny's, but  being at the Colonial Wongs felt very familiar (though who doesn't have aunts that are too curious about your life or one uncle that tells dirty jokes).  The mix of generations and languages, the tasty Thanksgiving menu everyone is supposed to abide by, and the afternoon laziness of content... they were scenarios I'd lived through a thousand times and will see at least a thousand times more.  The beauty of the day lay in its familiar feeling.  And I am grateful for the Colonial Wongs and their extended family.  Their relatives were the perfect mix of welcoming without asking too many questions.  The teenagers were self-conscious.  The adults catty.  The grandmother sweet.  The little kids impressed by my mad magic skills.  And the roast, oh so beautifully bloody.  A perfectly ordinary feast.  How was your Thanksgiving?

No comments: