Friday, May 26, 2006

Pimp My President

I don't like the word pimp. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I don't like pimps. You know who I do like? The customers in my thrift shop. The older the funnier. Like the lady today that decided not to buy the faux-fur vest even after she made sure that it wasn't actual fur. Why did she pass if she liked it? Why did she pass if she didn't want fur and it wasn't fur? Because it still looked too fur-like. She was afraid that other people might think that she was wearing animal fur. Even when she wasn't.

Oh, if you're ever self-conscious about donating your personal possessions and wonder whether people judge you for what you give, worry no more. I can put an end to your suspense. We really do make fun of you. Especially bad music. We will talk if your old collection is not cool enough. Andy will say, "How can it take people so long to realize that their music is crap? Why did you keep this for so long?"

Back to old customers. Today, this adorable, genteel, old man in crutches came in and looked at some jewelry in the display case. He bought three tasteful scarf rings, and was very pleasant the entire time. Afterwards, he looked through the store a bit and came back with, I kid you not, a faux-bling. A big, thick, plastic gold chain dangling a gigantic $ sign, just like this:

This frail, soft-spoke sixty-seventy-some-year-old white Scottish man stood in front of me and I couldn't help but chuckle. He said, "Now the ladies will think I'm rich." Oh, "You had me at bling," I wanted to say to him, "You had me at bling." But then, before he left, he added, "I just hope that no one will think I'm related to President Bush."

Huh? Does George W. have a habit of accessorizing with heavy golden chains that I don't know about? Or is he just referring to the fact that George is money? Because a lot of people are more money than W. I don't know, reader. I seem to be asking you a lot of questions lately, but I'm perplexed and I'm looking for answers. Which is too bad, because there's so few of you. (Ok, maybe just one of you. I don't even think Future-Me will read this.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you mean no one reads your ramblings?? I faithfully read your blogg every week... wait, its daily isnt it?? ahem, i faithfully read your...

Old people amuse me too, except when they're related to me and i realise that one day i might become them. For example. My grandma came and stayed with me last september and thought that it made sense to wash ALL the dishes and cutlery and hide them in MY room. I kid you not.

Imagine if my then, new flatmates had found me hoarding the entire crockery set of our flat?? What was she thinking??

Safe travelling dear friend, one day i might be in america and say hello (probably not to you, maybe just some random stranger, but hey, who's checking?)

kaz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps. its been a pleasure knowing you joy

mon said...

if i was an old man, i would definitely buy that.