Sunday, May 14, 2006

Burn, Mother Figure, Burn

Do not question my title, I insist that is how the song goes. Ah, so appropriate for Mother's Day.

Have you all shared with your mums today how much you love her? (Brits: You are exempt because you people, once again, refuse to play along with the rest of the world.)

On Thursday, it was mentioned earlier, there were all sorts of different burns, from the delightful penetration of those pesky UV rays, to the spiciness of our red lentil curry (it was made by hot people, how could it not be hot?), and then my favorite of burns, the cold, icy burn of insults. Let us turn our attention to the latter two.

Thursday was our small group's turn to cook and hand out free food outside of the main library, an experience I thoroughly enjoyed. I definitely demanded that Vita-L and gang to come visit us, raising their hopes for a free meal only to show them empty pots of the great dinner they missed. Because I am an awesome friend like that. In my defense, I did give them cinnamon buns as compensation. My buns were oh so sweet.

During the cooking process, many tears were shed as the smell of onions drifted through the kitchen. Well, Andy might have been shedding tears because Hannah, the godly divinity student and mature small group leader, was beating him senseless. "Pacifist my foot!" Dave kept shouting, as we witnessed the caning of Andy. Yet oddly enough, no one jumped to his defense. I have a feeling we'll all regret that when he finishes his medic degree and we all fall sick. A word of advice: never feed Hannah raisins you've found on the ground. Another word of advice: never accept raisins from Andy.

Those hard at work on the curry.

The onlookers cheering them on (except for Heather, who was just popping her head in).

The absolute slackers that didn't bother staying in the kitchen.
(Although it must be said that they were excellent choppers of garlic and onions.)

Stirring large pots of food in a cramped kitchen, then quickly exiting "so I wouldn't be in the way," to sit on comfy couches to chat with some of my favorite Eddie Bert people, then popping back once in awhile to pat a few backs, hand out "keep up the good works" and again returning to sit and talk with the other small group bums- moments like that make it hard to leave this city. But Hannah and Alan made it easy to leave when they started threatening (and semi following through the threats) that they'd tie me up and lock me down so I wouldn't be able to leave. Hannah, already high from the violent rampage earlier in the afternoon, had a hard time understanding that locking my arm right then, two weeks before departure, was a bit too early. But she said she didn't believe in procrastination. Oh, but I will miss bouncing over random mattresses on the sidewalk. They make me so happy.

Kaz: You're probably going to blog this, aren't you? Then you're going to blog me asking you this. I'm so paranoid that you'll blog whatever I say to you.

Well, then, don't tempt me...

Later that night, we all cramped into couches to watch the chick flick How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. It was all that we could do to stop Dave and Alan from forcing Princess Diaries 2: The Royal Engagement on us. They're quite keen on the Genovian queen.

A disturbing picture of the very hostile Fi and Dave. Kaz looked cute and friendly, but unfortunately, the lighting made her too dark to see.

A smiling Emma's head, and Alan here doing what Alan does best: working with computers and electronics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dammit i knew you'd blogg me...
there is something highly addictive about your bloggs which means, although i must insist on mine being better, yours call me back day after day.

Curry was good. Company not bad. video brilliant. ice cream better.

Anonymous said...

darn who is that handsome chap srirring that sexy curry!