Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Play On

I successfully defended my doctoral dissertation yesterday (whoa, those are fun words to type).  It was, all in all, a very characteristic day of friend hilarity and mishaps, complete with AV not showing up, the department coordinator being out of the office, and running through the support staff offices last minute, finding a coordinator who borrowed a laptop from someone else's office, a last minute phone call to get that person's log-in info, and just the right dose of drama I needed to not have time to hyperventilate prior to my presentation.  

In the Christian/self help circles, people like to speak of their "love language."  Usually, they're along the lines of gifts, physical touch, or words of encouragement, but I strongly believe in mockery as a love language.  It was all very confusing then, when everyone was so nice to me yesterday.

My ceaselessly encouraging cohort was there, of course, but beyond that, C Money from Bowdoin!, kids from other cohorts, and a slew of small group (Jesus) friends showed up, complete with posters.  Of course, Lisa  and Crystal made it very clear at dinner that the kindness would expire at midnight when we debriefed over dinner my mom made (mom also super nice yesterday.  should consider graduating more often).

Moi: [to Lisa] So we're even now?  You did so many things for me today (from making cookies to a giant poster and even a special pin).

Lisa: Mm hmm.  You can't make fun of me anymore.

Moi: [turn to Crystal]  Sorry, I guess I have to focus all my bullying on you.

Crystal: But I brought fruit tart!  And a card.  And I'm driving you guys!  

Moi: True, true.  Hm, back to Lisa, I guess.  

(Meanwhile, Nancy is sitting in between the two, completely unscathed.  And didn't even need to bring a gift.  Because she's perfect as is.  Seriously, you try making fun of Nancy.  It's not possible)

No comments: