Friday, January 07, 2011

Practicum Magic

This has been a very male-academic-centric week of posts (better than nothing) so I figured I'd close the week with one more anecdote. It's either that or reveal something personal about myself and nobody wants that.

As a part of my program, we have a year-long course associated with a 16-week practicum that's supposed to include mentoring, regular progress reviews, and all sorts of professional development goodies to help us apply our learning. All but one other person in my cohort started their projects at least a month ago. Marie regular meets with the CEO of the local hospital monopoly. Max and Catherine are developing Vermont's healthcare plan. As for me? I went to Whitecastle yesterday afternoon.

Moi: Can you be my preceptor?

Whitecastle: Am I qualified?

Moi: Mm hmm. Just sign here. I'll fill out the rest.

Whitecastle: (glances over form, amazingly asks if I want to backtrack the date to make the form seem 'more real') So you're going to write about how I'm going to mentor you? And I'm paying you for this?

Moi: I guess so. I mean, I've already learned so much from you.

Whitecastle: It's all part of the plan. Teaching you how to fend for yourself.

I really hope I'm employable in a few months.

No comments: