Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Whatever It Takes

How much does it take to get over a rough meeting? About $8, it turns out. Had a meeting yesterday with Doc Whitecastle and Doc Query that was not awful, but not terribly fun, as everyone had decided that it was time now, instead of six weeks ago when the project had started and I had asked for input, to make drastic changes that I'd have to go back and implement. And it somehow sounded like my fault, too. Even though I knew that no one thought it was, and that this was just part of the life of a project; I was just the kid who had to put the little pieces together so the big picture folks can get to work. Afterward, as we were walking out of Whitecastle's office, I wondered if there was a research conference today. Research conferences on Tuesdays = free lunch in our division.

"Hm, I don't think so." Query replied.

Dang, I thought. Annoying meeting and then no lunch? "Are you hungry?" He asked. I refrained from saying that I was always hungry and simply replied, "Yes, I think so." "Want a burrito?" "Uh... OK?" "Come on, let's get a burrito." And that was that. Doc Query bought me a burrito and propelled himself high, high up on my Faculty Favorites list (it doesn't take much).

Now, it's the morning after. And I still have our project to sort out today. But Query's investment is paying off for him. It's Wednesday morning, I'm happy, ready to work, and remembering to direct any bitterness toward Whitecastle, not Query.

No comments: