Saturday, July 26, 2014

Out on the Ledge

At Landlady Chang's reception last weekend (Jenny: Whose wedding are you going to? Moi: My previous landlord. Jenny: You mean, your good friend Sarah you lived with for 3 years? Moi: Ah yes, that's the one.), a series of mishaps led me to be seated next to one Mr. Lin. When we started talking about how we each knew Sarah, something suddenly clicked in my brain. 

Nowadays, I have such trouble remembering new people that I'm terrified of bumping into any of the 5 ladies Roommate Anna had over last week because I recall neither their faces nor names- even though they spent hours in my living room. But the second Mr. Lin said he was a neighbor, I immediately asked, "Sir, do you have 2 daughters, and is the eldest one Annie?  I  believe I was her Boston Project (a faith based service trip) counselor many years ago."

I didn't want to seem more creepy, or else I would have noted that I met his daughter precisely 10 years ago-- the same summer I met Dwighters, not-landlady Sarah (she came 3 years before), G-Pak, and everyone else. It astounds me that I could now have a friend for a decade- and that friendship would still be younger than most Bo' relationships and of course anything prior.  Decades are now passing the way weeks and months used to. 

I don't have anything particularly revelatory about spending the weekend with names that have been around since this blog (I also got to see Mac!). Or if I do, let me keep them close, and tell you instead about climbing out of Dwighter's window.


It was a split second decision. The window was open.  Dwighters was busy.   I noticed the very flat ledge and thought, "when else would I do this?" And climbed out for a view of the brahmin neighborhood.  Sure a lady down the street stared at me worriedly, but it was one of my best decisions of the weekend. I love a place with a good view. 


Moi: I was just out on your little roof. 

Dwighter: How'd you get out there?

Moi: The giant window that was open. 

Dwighter: You just climbed out? And it was stable?

Moi: That's insulting. It holds you, doesn't it?  Have you never been out there?

Dwighter: No. It's been a subject of much discussion. [The roommates] say I should put a chair out there but I thought that'd be too-

Moi: Creepy? 

Dwighters: I was going for hillbilly. I don't want to be the neighborhood hillbilly. 

Silly Dwighters, the Dot doesn't have hillbillies. Just shady folks and swanky folks. 

No comments: