Wednesday, March 24, 2010

State of the Obvious

You don't need to tell me that the bill isn't perfect. For those of us in school, it's far less progressive than we'd envisioned, set too far into the future, with far too many side deals. Even the bill's viability is still in peril. I know.

But for the last few days, we've set aside our caution and allowed ourselves to smile a little. Coming back from spring break, "Did you see it last night?" was among the most popular salutations ("You mean, did I watch the meaningless procedural vote that not even PBS decided to carry? Yes, yes, I did."). In a new quarter of classes, my professors in every discipline- from management to ethics to quantitative methods- all addressed the reform bill and why it's relevant to our studies. All of this makes me glad that I'm in this school at this time, learning these things.

---

Professor Steve: In this case, you have some losers- not in a social sense. In a policy sense.

No comments: