Wednesday, June 24, 2009

500 Days

Remember summer? No? Yeah, me neither.

July 1st will be next week. And July 1st, as we all know, is Canada Day. Nicole, being our friendly neighbor from the North, has gotten all of us excited for Canada Day for the past month. I can hardly contain my excitement in this final week. Nicole's having a party so there will be Canadian foods and games, dressing in red and white, and, quite disturbingly, Canadian trivia. I didn't know of the last aspect until last night and have decided, since they almost never publish stories of Canadia in the Times (and the Times is where I learn about everything in the world), that I best start seeking Canadian knowledge elsewhere. Young Bo', who's technically Canadian, tried to offer her services; I didn't bite.

Moi: But you don't even know who Stephen Harper is.

Young Bo': The book publisher?

Moi: No, the current Prime Minister.

Young Bo': Oh.

No. I needed someone more knowledgeable, someone educated by Canada's best. In this last week, I decided, I would learn a fact a day from Whitecastle.

Moi: So Whitecastle told me about Canadian sports.

Young Bo': How did you ask him? I'm more curious about that than the actual fact.

Moi: What do you mean? I just said, "can you give me a Canadian fact of the day?" It's a perfectly legitimate question.

Young Bo': Did he ask what it's for?

Moi: It's for the Canada Day trivia competition, of course. I just answered everything in as normal a tone as I could, and made it seem like he was the weird one... It almost worked.

No comments: